Human Figure Project - Kolesa

Rough Draft Photo:
This rough draft photo is in my sketchbook from when i was first planning out the structure of the picture

Reference Photos: Flowers




I used these reference photos for all of the flowers that I put in the background of the drawing. I did a lot of research into different types of flowers and what they mean.

Reference Photos: Human Figure
This is the original photo that I took and laid a grid over and made black and white to get a better sense of the scale and value of the picture.


Final Phase Photo:

Describe:
This piece is a girl who's smiling and rolling up her pants. Shes sitting down on the ground with trees growing near her. Her shirt is very colorful and matches the background shes sitting against. The background is supposed to be the bank of the creek that shes sitting in front of. Half of the picture is in graphite with lots of tonal values and the other half is in colorful watercolor. The sky is left blank to show a clear and bright day behind her. There's lots of contrast in the tonal values and many different colors.

Principals of Design and Elements of Art:
Personally, I feel as though this piece has a very nice flow throughout the piece. I face is close to the center of the image and I know that  we as humans tend to be drawn to human faces within art. So i feel as though the face pulls your gaze in first, and the tree trunks around her leading toward her feet really draw your eye downward throughout the entire figure. I also feel like this piece has very good contrast. This is really one of my first ventures into a type of mixed media picture and i feel as though the contrast of the graphite and the paint create a nice effect. I believe this also demonstrates Emphasis because it shows off the center of the painting, and highlights her body and all of the plants and flowers in the background. Personally, I do feel as though this piece has a good sense of unity, as the graphite in the arms, legs, and head carry some of that pencil work into the painted section and makes it really fit together as if it were a type of puzzle that fits together in just the right way.

For elements of Art i feel as though this piece demonstrates form very well. I'm not sure if it is demonstrated extremely well on the flowers because I am not extremely practiced with paint, but it does appear on the figure of the body. I feel as though the value in the drawing really gives the piece form that i captured well. This piece also definitely demonstrates value. I worked very hard to create dark shadows for places like her hair and the shadow on the ground. I also captured the natural contrast in values with the highlights that are on her skin and clothes. This piece also definitely demonstrates color. When I made the decision to paint this piece, I really wanted as much color as possible to be shown off with all of the flowers that i chose for the background. I showed off the colors in all of the flowers and ground as well as her tie dye shirt. Lastly, i believe this piece also shows off a good amount of texture. I feel i replicated the bark of the tree trunks successfully. I also believe that I showed the difference in the texture of her pants and her skin well.

Interpretation of Story/Meaning:
The meaning of this piece was to create something that showed the personality of one of my best friends. Not to be corny or anything but shes and extremely colorful, fun, amazing person, and i wanted to create something that demonstrated how vibrant she is and just how much fun of a friend she is. I snapped this photo as she was rolling up her jeans, about to go into a creek in the park that we were at. I had so much fun that day that I wanted to make her something special and personal. So the story is of a girl that's about to go have fun with her friends and shes just s happy as they are. Shes one of my best friends and one of the most caring and sweet people that i know. I really wanted to show the colorfulness of her shirt because shes a colorful person and everything around her is colorful too because her happiness just spreads. The flowers in the background also show a specific idea and they are the culture part of my project. Throughout the Victorian era of the 1800's, a common practice was to send people you know personalized bouquets of flowers. Every flower had a specific meaning and so a bouquet could send a specific message. Anything from infatuation to  loathing. All of these flowers in the background signify friendship. These include ivy, bluebells, zinnias, chrysanthemums, irises, gladioluses, and others. Overall, I feel as though this piece is very successful in my intentions of creating a very colorful piece that represents one of my best friends.

Personal Strengths and Growth:
I really liked this piece and thought that it was a lot of fun to create. Personally, I dont often work in a mixed-media style of creation but i really really enjoyed creating this. I feel as though i grew in my use of watercolor because I don't tend to practice with them very often. Every time that I use them I feel like I'm improving my use and I feel I was very successful in painting the ground and the flowers, as well as successfully using a very wet-on-wet technique for the tie dye. I also feel as though I grew with using graphite. I use pencils most often but making large detailed pieces like this is always great practice. This was also great for drawing the human figure as I have found that I really tend to draw people as only busts, or standing upright. I think I was very strong in the construction of this piece, in both the graphite value, and the watercolor painting. Im very proud of this piece.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Value Project Write-Up (2/2) - Horse in the Mountains

Visual Narrative Project - Kolesa