Typography Project - Kolesa

Reference Photos:




Progress Picture:


Final Project


Describe Analyze Interpret Judge

Desc: This piece I think actually is one of my biggest successes throughout the entire year in Draw. It was finished on time and I like most everything about it. The mirror is beautiful and very detailed and it was actually a lot of fun to draw. The fonts were fun to play with and I really like all of the fonts I chose. The quote is probably one of my favorites. You suggested to me putting the mirror smudging in the middle and I think that was the finishing touch for this piece. I really like the composition for this and I believe I did a pretty good job this this one. I tried to get fonts that mimicked the fancy imagery and words of the quote. The mirror is very intricate and i feel like the words reflect that.

Analyze:
I really like this piece and Im pretty proud of it. For elements of art I used texture and line. For Principles of design i used variety and balance.  For texture I believe i made a good texture on the mirror and all the different parts that it has. I also think theres a very smooth texture for the actual mirror part. For line, I believe i did a very good job with the actual typography because i think that I was very consistent with the letters and they look good. For principles of design i believe i used variety and balance. I used variety because of the different font styles that i used for the whole thing, as well as the different sizes of the fonts. For balance i think i did a good job because of the arrangement of the words inside of the mirror, and the words intersecting the handle.

Interpret
My quote for the project is “put a mirror in her hand and you called the painting vanity” this is part of a larger quote by John Berger. He has written books on art criticisms, and I really liked this specific quote. The second part of this says “therefore condemning the nakedness of the woman you painted for your own pleasure.” Hes criticizing the act of painting a woman because shes beautiful, but then condemning that beauty, even though you painted the woman just because you wanted to. This quote for me really showcases a lot of the double standards faced towards women, including those who are included in the arts. This project is supposed to obviously represent the mirror that the girl would be holding. Basically, you cant call a woman vain when you painted her out of vanity.

Judge:
I think i did a really good job with this project. This is one of my biggest successes in this class i think that its one of my best pieces. I really really like the detail that i put on the mirror because i really worked very hard on it. Im really glad that it turned out so good because i really think that it is a beautiful mirror. I think i also pulled off the fonts very well. I was surprised that i picked actually good fonts but i believe they really do work well with the words that they correspond to. I believe that i did a good job of conveying the tone of the quote through the words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Value Project Write-Up (2/2) - Horse in the Mountains

Visual Narrative Project - Kolesa